Dragon Fruit Almond Cake
A luscious, plant-based almond cake topped with a bright and tangy dragon fruit jam.Created by Chef Megan Marlow (Instagram: @meganmarlow)
2 cups DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Dragon Fruit
½ cup granulated sugar
½ orange, juiced
½ lemon, juiced and quartered
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup water
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup canola oil
¾ cup unsweetened plant-based yogurt
12 Tbsp aquafaba (liquid from a can of garbanzo beans)
½ tsp almond extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup almond flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 ½ tsp poppy seeds
1 orange, zested
DRAGON FRUIT JAM
- In a medium sauce pan, add DOLE IQF Dragon Fruit, sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, and lemon quarters.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, simmer for 25 min. Transfer to a jar to cool.
- Combine lemon juice, water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, simmer for 30 min or until reduced by half. Transfer to a jar to cool.
DRAGON FRUIT ALMOND CAKE
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, canola oil, yogurt, aquafaba, almond extract, and vanilla extract in standing mixer (or large bowl with handheld mixer) and mix for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients. Mix for an additional 15 seconds.
- Grease a 9-inch round baking pan and add cake batter. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and then flip the cake onto a plate.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the top and sides of the cake with lemon syrup, evenly spread dragon fruit jam on top, and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!