Sweet Zanzibar Pizza
(2021 Pairings – Tanzania and Zanzibar – Africa & the Middle East) From Zanzibar - A fluffy disk of dough deep fried in ghee and smeared with dark chocolate sauce, topped with banana and mango jam. A common street food on the coast in Zanzibar.
1 quart all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons salt
⅔ cup vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 cup DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Sliced Bananas partially thawed
1-½ cups DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 each dough divided sub-recipe
2-½ cups banana and mango jam sub-recipe
2 cups ghee
2 cups dark chocolate melted
To Prepare Dough:
1. In a bowl, add the flour, salt and oil followed by water. Add enough water to bring the dough together into ball. Cover and set aside for at least 1 hour
2. Once ready to assemble, lightly oil your countertop and start stretching the piece of dough out into a large disk.
To Prepare Banana and Mango Jam:
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the banana and mango with sugar and lemon juice. Fold to mix evenly and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. In a saucepan over a medium to high heat, melt the butter and then add the fruit mixture and vanilla extract.
3. Bring up to a simmer and cook, stirring regularly to prevent burning on the bottom. Cook till all excess liquid is evaporated.
To Prepare Pizza:
1. Add your jam to the center of the dough disk,
2. Bring all four sides together leaving a small space in the center.
3. Carefully lift the uncooked Zanzibar pizza off the counter and add it to a pan with ghee.
4. Cook each side for 8 min.
5. Cut up into smaller pieces and serve drizzled with dark chocolate.