Olive Oil Poached Cod with Orange and Chorizo
(2021 Pairings – Northern California – Americas) - A delicate piece of fish that has been poached in fresh California olive oil, roasted mushrooms and sweet mandarin oranges resting in a sauce flavored with mandarin orange juice, spicy chorizo and fresh herbs.
4 pounds halibut fillets
2 cups lemon slices
2-1/2 cups Canned DOLE Mandarin Oranges in Juice drained and juice reserved divided
1/4 cup capers
5 Tablespoons finely minced garlic divided
2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
1 quart olive oil
2-1/2 pounds button mushrooms cleaned and stems trimmed quartered
2-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced chives
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup fresh chorizo sausage casing removed
1/2 cup yellow onion small dice
3 Tablespoons oregano minced
1/4 cup green bell pepper small dice
4 pounds olive oil poached cod sub-recipe
button mushrooms roasted sub-recipe
mandarin chorizo sofrito sub-recipe
To Prepare Olive Oil Poached Cod:
1. Pre heat an oven to 250°F.
2. In a shallow hotel pan, place the halibut fillets, top with the sliced lemon and 1 cup mandarin segments.
3. Arrange the capers, 1 Tablespoons of garlic and thyme around the fish.
4. Fill the pan with 1 quart olive oil so that the fish is submerged.
5. Bake the fish for 30 minutes, until the fish turns opaque.
6. Remove the fish from the pan and cut into portions.
To Prepare Roasted Button Mushroom:
1. Preheat an oven to 400°F.
2. Place the mushrooms in a mixing bowl with 2-1/2 Tbsp olive oil, 3 Tbsp garlic, chives, salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix until blended.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes, and reserve warm till ready to use.
To Prepare Mandarin Chorizo Sofrito:
1. In a sauté pan over a medium to high heat, add the chorizo and begin to crumble and render out the fat.
2. As the chorizo begins to color, add t1-1/2 cups mandarins, yellow onion, oregano, 1 Tbsp garlic and green pepper and sauté to heat through for 4 minutes.
Place a bed of 1/2 cup roasted mushrooms on a warmed plate, place a fillet of halibut on top and garnish with 1/4 cup mandarin chorizo sofrito.