Coconut Pineapple Banh Flan
Creamy rich coconut flan with sweet pineapple caramel, finished with toasted coconut and a dehydrated pineapple slice.
3 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cups heavy cream divided
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
4 cups hot water 115F
1/2 cup pineapple caramel recipe below
10 dehydrated pineapple recipe below
1/2 cup coconut chips
1 cup DOLE Pineapple Juice
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons butter cold cubed
10 DOLE Pineapple Slices drained reserve juice
Dehydrated Pineapple Directions:
1. Remove Pineapple Slices from can and lay on a paper towel lined sheet tray and allow to dry overnight in the refrigerator. Reserve juice.
2. Heat oven to 200°F.
3. Place pineapple rings onto a sheet tray fitted with a cooling rack.4. Dehydrate pineapples for 3-4 hours until dry, but still pliable. Reserve.
Pineapple Caramel Directions:
1. Combine Pineapple Juice with juice drained from the pineapple slices and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes without stirring until it thickens and becomes a light amber color.
3. Using a wooden spoon, stir in cubed butter until completely mixed.
4. Add in 1/4 cup heavy cream and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and reserve.
Coconut Mango Banh Flan Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine whole eggs, egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, 1-1/4 cup heavy cream, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
3. Prepare ten 5-oz ramekins by brushing melted butter around the inside of each one.
4. Add 1 Tablespoon of pineapple caramel to the bottom of each ramekin.
5. Distribute custard mixture evenly between the ramekins.
6. Place custard into a hot water bath, then cover with aluminum foil and bake for at least 20 minutes or until custard is set and jiggles when shaken.
7. Remove flan from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
1. Use a small offset spatula or paring knife to unmold flan onto a plate.
2. Garnish with 1 Tablespoon of toasted coconut chips and a dehydrated pineapple slice.