Poblano Chicken Relleno with Mango
(2018 Pairings Recipe) A tropical twist on chicken relleno.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup yellow onion peeled finely diced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed
1 lb. rotisserie chicken pulled
5 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
6 large poblano chilis de-seeded
1-½ cups medium salsa
2 large eggs beaten
¾ cup half and half
¼ cup green pepper hot sauce
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves divided
1 cup mango puree
1 cup light sour cream
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over medium heat with vegetable oil. Add diced onion and minced garlic, sweat until translucent, stirring often to prevent burning (approximately 5 minutes).
- Combine sautéed vegetables, mango, pulled chicken, and 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir gently with a rubber spatula until all ingredients are incorporated. Refrigerate covered until needed.
- Hull poblano peppers with a paring knife, to remove stem and seeds. Rinse with cold water to remove all seeds if needed.
- Stuff each de-seeded poblano pepper with 1 cup of filling and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan and set aside.
- Whisk together salsa, eggs, half and half, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup cilantro in a medium-sized mixing bowl and refrigerate covered until needed.
- Whisk together mango puree and sour cream in a small mixing bowl and refrigerate covered until needed
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover each stuffed poblano with 1/2 cup of salsa cooking base and top with 1/2 cup of remaining shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Place poblano relleno on plate and drizzle with 1/4 cup of mango sour cream. Serve immediately.