Cherry Glazed Pork Golabki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
Steamed cabbage leaves stuffed with seasoned rice and minced pork marinated in the juice of sweet dark cherries, topped with a tart tomato and cherry sauce.
½ cup DOLE® IQF Dark Sweet Cherries, defrosted, chopped, reserve juice
½ cup DOLE IQF Red Tart Cherries, defrosted, chopped, reserve juice
1 cup cherry juice, reserved from defrosted cherries
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp salt
20 large cabbage leaves
2 pounds ground pork, cooked
2 pounds ground beef, cooked
1 cup white rice, cooked
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup carrots, grated
¼ cup celery, minced
¼ cup onion, minced
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp basil, chopped
PREPARE CHERRY GLAZE:
- Add cherries, cherry juice, nutmeg, paprika, pepper, and salt in saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Blend to a smooth sauce, if desired or leave chunky. Set aside.
MAKE THE GOLABKI:
- Steam cabbage heads for 10 minutes to make more flexible. Pick 20 leaves and lay out on flat surface.
- In a bowl add pork, beef, rice, eggs, cream, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Place equal amounts of mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll. Place cabbage rolls in a pan and top with the cherry glaze. Cook in 350˚F oven for 30 minutes.
- Top with chopped basil and serve.