Zaanse Mostardsoep (Dutch Mustard Soup)
A savory cream-based soup spiced with apples, mustard and leeks, then garnished with crispy pancetta and roasted apples.
2 Tbsp butter
1 pound pancetta, chopped
2 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 leeks, chopped
2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3 cups DOLE® Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Apples
½ cup white wine (riesling)
5 cups chicken stock
½ cup stone ground mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup pancetta, cooked crisp
½ cup DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Apples, roasted
- In a large stock pot over medium heat melt butter. Add pancetta and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add onions, leeks, garlic, and potato and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Add apples and wine and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Add chicken stock and mustard, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until apples and potatoes are soft.
- Blend in batches until soup is smooth and mix all batches together in a pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm for service.
- Garnish with pancetta and roasted apples.