Savory chunks of pork shoulder are pan-fried then simmered in a flavorful white wine and mandarin citrus sauce with the addition of sweet, dark cherries.
5 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 Tbsp kosher salt
½ Tbsp black pepper
1 tsp oregano, dried
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups DOLE® Mandarin Oranges in 100% Fruit Juice
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup DOLE IQF Dark Sweet Cherries
20 Romaine lettuce leaves picked and washed
3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
10 haloumi cheese, ¼-inch thick slices, seared
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pork, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Warm the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. In batches, add the pork and brown on each side until crispy, about 3 minutes per side, then remove the pork using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the mandarin oranges and wine to the skillet, then simmer until reduced by one half, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Return the pork and any accumulated juices to the skillet, then return to a simmer; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and gently simmer until the pork is tender and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a serving platter.
- Increase the heat to medium-high add the cherries, and reduce the sauce, uncovered, until roughly a cup of liquid remains, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the pork and serve with a salad mix made of a couple of the romaine leaves, cherry tomatoes and a slice of haloumi cheese.