Requeson Croquette with Smoked Pineapple Adobo
(2021 Pairings - Regional Mexico - Americas) From El Norte - Savory croquettes made with a fresh Mexican cheese, similar to ricotta, combined with a variety of other Mexican cheeses served with a sweet and smokey pineapple adobo.
4 each russet potatoes
1 cup masa flour
2 each eggs
1 cup Mexican cheese blend shredded
1/2 cup queso fresco crumbled
1/2 cup cotija cheese
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic cloves minced
2 cups panko breadcrumbs seasoned with 1 tablespoon salt
15.5 oz. DOLE Canned Pineapple Tidbits in 100 Pineapple Juice
12 oz. DOLE Pineapple Juice
3 Tablespoons smoked paprika
1/4 cup chipotle adobe sauce
to taste salt
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons water
for garnish Chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a small pot, boil potatoes with skin on for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove from water and let cool for an hour. Peel Potatoes and mash with a fork in a medium bowl.
2. To the potatoes add the Masa, eggs, cheeses, 2 Tablespoons salt, pepper and garlic. Mix until homogenous.
3. Shape into ½ inch balls (approx. 50) and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
4. Roll the balls in the breadcrumbs and place back on the cookie sheet. Freeze for at least an hour before cooking.
5. In a 350°F fryer, carefully add 10 balls at a time, turning as they get brown.
6. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Pineapple Adobo Sauce Directions:
1. In a small pan over medium heat combine pineapple tidbits with juice and smoked paprika and heat for 1 minute. Add Pineapple juice, adobo and simmer for 2 minutes.
2. Separately, add corn starch to water and mix slurry into sauce. Cook for 2 minutes. Keep warm for service.
1. Drain excess grease from croquettes and serve with smoked pineapple adobo sauce.
2. Garnish with cilantro for a side item or shareable for the whole table.