Citrus Beet Salad with Pickled Peaches
(2021 Pairings – Northern California – Americas) - Colorful roasted red and golden beets tossed with mandarin orange segments, shaved fennel, sliced red onion, baby arugula and fresh torn parsley dressed in a citrus ginger vinaigrette with fresh horseradish and pickled peaches.
1/2 cup reserved juice from Mandarin Oranges in Juice
1 cup light olive oil
2 cups + 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar divided
1-1/3 Tablespoons kosher salt divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and grated
1 Tablespoons black peppercorns
2 each dry bay leaves
2-1/2 cups DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Peaches
1-1/2 quarts baby arugula
4 cups fennel bulb thinly shaved
3 cups thinly sliced red onion
5 cups roasted mixed beets sliced thinly
5 cups DOLE Mandarin Oranges drained juice reserved
2-1/2 cups pickled peaches sub-recipe
2 cups citrus ginger vinaigrette sub-recipe
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tablespoons fresh horseradish peeled and grated
To Prepare Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette:
1. Whisk together 1/2 cup of juice from mandarins, light olive oil, 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and grated ginger in a bowl to form a homogenous dressing.
2. Set aside for dressing.
To Prepare Pickled Peaches:
1. In a small sauce pot, over a high heat, bring 2 cups vinegar, 1 Tbsp salt, whole peppercorns and bay leaves to a boil.
2. Once the salt has fully dissolved, add the frozen peaches to the liquid and turn the heat off.
3. Allow the peaches to sit in the liquid for 20 minutes, then remove them from the pickling liquid with a slotted spoon for service.
1. Prepare the bed of the salad, using the arugula, fennel and red onion.
2. The arrange the beets, mandarin segments and pickled peaches evenly over the top.
3. Dress the salad with the vinaigrette.
4. Garnish with torn parsley and freshly grated horseradish.