Asian Sweet and Savory Pancake
(Asia Pairings 2020) - Grilled Mandarin Orange Cong Youbing - A light and flaky pancake filled with minced spring onion griddled until golden brown. Topped with grilled hoisin-marinated mandarin oranges, topped with fresh spring onion.
20 each Cong Youbing - Prepared Asian Pancakes Recipe below
2-1/2 cups Hoisin Mandarin Orange Sauce Recipe Below
2-1/2 cups purple cabbage sliced thinly
1-1/4 cups scallions sliced thin
1/3 cup black sesame seed
4-1/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour divided
2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan pepper dried ground
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup scallions sliced thin
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups DOLE Mandarin Oranges drained
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon fresh ginger peeled and grated
1/4 cup hot water 115F
4 scallions grilled and half inch cut
Cong Youbing Recipe Directions:
1. To Make the dough, add 4 cups all-purpose flour to a large bowl. Add boiling water and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
2. Once mixture is cool enough to handle, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Place kneaded dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Allow dough to rest for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
3. To make the filling, in a large bowl, mix 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, the remaining all-purpose flour, Sichuan pepper and kosher salt into a paste.
4. Remove dough from the bowl and knead for 1 minute. Divide into 20 equal parts. Keep the remaining dough balls covered with a damp towel to prevent drying.
5. Working in batches, on a lightly floured surface, flatten one dough ball into 1/8-inch thick square.
6. Spread a 1/2 teaspoon of the prepared filling onto the flattened dough square and top with 1 Tablespoon of sliced scallion.
7. Roll the dough from the bottom up to make a small log. Then roll the log into a pinwheel and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel.
8. Repeat for remaining dough. Once all the pinwheels have been formed, let them proof for 30 minutes, covered.
9. Once proofed, using a rolling pin, gently roll each pinwheel out to a 1/4-inch thickness.
10. Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add 5 pancakes and cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining pancakes.
Hoisin Mandarin Orange Sauce:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add Mandarin Oranges and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add hoisin, toasted sesame oil, ginger and hot water (115°F) to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the grilled scallions to sauce mixture and reserve.
5. Serve Warm.
1. Quarter 2 pancakes and shingle 8 pieces on a plate.
2. Top with 1/4 cup warm Hoisin Mandarin Orange Sauce and garnish with 1 tablespoon of purple cabbage, 1 tablespoon sliced scallions and 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds.