Sorghum Fried Chicken Sandwich with Cherry Slaw
(2018 Pairings Recipe) A fruity twist on traditional fried chicken sandwiches.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
¼ cup sorghum molasses
2 cups buttermilk whole fat
4 (5 oz.) boneless skinless chicken thighs
for frying vegetable oil
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons DOLE Pineapple Juice
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot sauce
4 cups cole slaw cabbage mix
1-½ cups frozen DOLE Red Tart Cherries thawed roughly chopped
4 brioche burger buns toasted
12 dill pickle chips
- Begin heating 1/4 inch of frying oil to 350°F in a large straight sided sauté pan.
- Prepare dry mix by combining flour, cayenne, paprika, and 2 tablespoons salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare wet dredge by whisking together sorghum molasses and buttermilk in large mixing bowl.
- Dry chicken thighs with paper towels. Drag chicken thighs through dry mix, coating thoroughly.
- Transfer dredged thighs to buttermilk mix and submerge completely.
- Repeat dry dredge step, coating completely and gently shaking off any excess flour.
- Lay dredged thighs away from you into hot oil, frying each side of the thigh for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and an internal temperature of 165°F has been achieved.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, pineapple juice, vinegar, hot sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt in a small mixing bowl, whisking together until smooth.
- Add slaw mix and cherries to bowl and fold together until evenly coated.
- Halve and toast all four brioche buns until golden brown and crispy. On the bottom half of each bun, place three pickles. Add a fried chicken thigh to each sandwich and top with 1/2 cup of cherry slaw. Place the toast bun tops on each sandwich.