Pork Belly Bowl with Curried Spaetzle and Apple Cabbage Slaw
(2017 Pairings) An entree of succulent pork belly, savory spaetzle, and bright apple slaw.
1 lb. pork belly
as needed salt and pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
2 stalks celery chopped
½ bulb fennel cored and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup dry white wine
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard divided
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup DOLE Pineapple Juice
1 bunch fresh thyme
3 dry bay leaves
6 cups water
1 small savoy cabbage quartered cored and finely shredded
2 cups frozen DOLE Sliced Apples
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 large eggs
¼ cup whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley minced
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Score the fat side of the pork belly in a one-inch diamond pattern. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Coat a straight-sided baking pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add onion, celery, fennel and garlic.
- Cook vegetables until they begin to soften and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce liquid for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup mustard, chicken stock, and pineapple juice. When near a simmer, add the pork belly fat side up, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cover the pan and place in the oven for 6 hours.
- Remove from oven and transfer pork to a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes. Cut the pork into 4 equal portions. Before serving, heat a skillet over high heat and sear pork fat side down for 3 mins until crispy.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Boil cabbage for 3 minutes. Drain cabbage and transfer to a large pan over medium heat. Add apples, heavy cream and remaining 1 tablespoon mustard. Stir to mix and heat through. Remove from pan.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and curry powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a separate bowl. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Mix together by drawing flour from the sides to combine thoroughly. Once the dough is smooth and thick, allow it to rest 15 mins.
- Bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Push the batter through the holes of a spaetzle maker, colander or slotted spoon into the water. Cook each batch until the spaetzle floats to the surface. Remove from the water using a slotted spoon and rinse with cold water in a colander.
- Heat butter in a skillet and add cooked spaetzle. Cook until golden brown. Garnish with parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Place spaetzle in serving bowl, top with apple slaw and pork belly. Serve immediately.