Mango and Seafood Paella Bowl
(2017 Pairings) A delicious twist on traditional paella.
3 cups plus ½ cup chicken broth divided
1 cup dry riesling wine
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ yellow onion minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup tomatoes peeled and chopped
½ teaspoon sugar
5 teaspoons salt divided
1-½ teaspoons sweet paprika
½ tablespoon saffron threads
8 ounces squid cleaned and sliced into rings
2 cups carnaroli rice
1 lb. fresh medium sized shrimp peeled deveined
1 cup DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes
salt and pepper to taste
- Warm 3 cups chicken broth and wine in a sauce pot over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a shallow paella pan or similar skillet add the oil and onions. As the onions become translucent, add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Add sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, and saffron after tomatoes begin to sizzle and stir constantly to reduce the mixture to a sauce like consistency.
- Add squid and cook for 3 mins.
- Add rice and stir well to coat.
- Add 3 teaspoons salt to stock mixture. Once the salt is dissolved, pour the broth over the rice mixture. Stir well and then arrange the rice to form an even layer over the base of the pan. Cook the rice, without stirring, on medium-low for 30 minutes.
- Spread shrimp and mango evenly over the top of the paella halfway through cooking. After 10 minutes, flip the shrimp to complete their cooking.
- NOTE: If the rice is too dry at the end of cooking, add remaining 1/2 cup broth to pan.