(2021 Pairings - South Korea- Asia) From Seoul - Double fried pieces of pork smothered in a Korean style sweet & sour sauce made with pineapple chunks, mango, onion, carrots and bell peppers.
|3-1/2 cups||corn starch divided|
|5-1/2 cups||water divided|
|5 each||egg whites|
|3 Tablespoons||mirin sweet rice wine|
|3 teaspoons||ginger minced|
|9 Tablespoons||soy sauce divided|
|2 teaspoons||kosher salt|
|1 teaspoon||freshly ground black pepper|
|1 lb||pork loin cut into thin stir fry strips|
|2 cups||DOLE Canned Pineapple Juice|
|1/4 cup||apple cider vinegar|
|1 cup||carrot thinly sliced coins|
|1 cup||DOLE Pineapple Chunks in Juice|
|1 cup||yellow onion large dice|
|1 cup||green bell pepper medium dice|
|2 cups||frozen DOLE Mango Chunks thawed|
|1 cup||cucumber medium dice|
|1/2 cup||pork marinade sub-recipe|
|6-1/2 cups||pork fry batter sub-recipe|
|as needed||oil for frying|
|1 quart||pineapple sweet and sour sauce sub-recipe|
Directions Pork Fry Batter:
1. Make the batter by combining 3-1/4 cups corn starch and 3-1/4 cups water in a bowl.
2. Leave it for about 1 hour (or until the starch sinks in the bowl completely) on the kitchen bench.
3. When the starch and water separate, gently discard the water. Combine the starch with the egg whites. Mix them well with a whisk to fully blend.
Directions Pork Marinade:
1. Combine 3 Tbsp mirin, 3 tsp minced ginger, 3 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper.
2. Combine the pork with the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Allow to marinate in a fridge for an hour.
Directions for Pineapple Sweet and Sour sauce:
1. In a separate pan, add 2 cups water, pineapple juice, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce and apple cider vinegar for the pineapple sweet and sour sauce. Bring to a simmer over a medium to high heat.
2. Add the carrots and cook for 1 minute, then add the remaining fruit and vegetables and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
3. In a small metal bowl, mix 1/4 cup corn starch and ¼ cup water to create a slurry.
4. Add this slurry to the sauce and stir constantly till it thickens, then remove from heat.
Directions for Korean Sweet & Sour Pork:
1. Add the pork from the marinade to the batter bowl and mix well.
2. In a wok with 4 inches of fryer oil, bring the temperature to 350F.
3. Add the pork, and fry for roughly 2 minutes. Be sure to fry in batches so you don’t overcrowd the wok. Allow the cooked pork to drain on a wire rack with paper towel.
4. Add pineapple sweet and sour sauce to the wok and refry each piece of pork till golden and crispy.
1. Serve twice fried pork with sauce over the top.