(2021 Pairings - Italy - Europe) From Sicily- Pesto sauce made with blanched roasted almonds, fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes, seared mango, fresh garlic, grated pecorino, extra virgin olive oil all blended, then folded into a traditional curled pasta.
|8 each||garlic cloves peeled|
|1 cup||whole blanched almonds|
|3 cups||fresh basil leaves|
|10 ounces||pecorino romano cheese grated|
|3 cups||sun dried tomatoes divided|
|2-1/4 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed divided|
|3/4 cup + 1 teaspoon||extra virgin olive oil divided|
|3-3/4 quarts||rotini pasta cooked al dente|
|2-1/2 cups||Trapanese pesto sub-recipe|
|2 Tablespoons||red chili flakes|
To Prepare Trapanese Pesto:
1. In a food processor pulse the garlic, almonds, basil, cheese, 1 cup tomatoes and 1/4 cup mango to form a rough paste.
2. Then slowly add 3/4 cup olive oil while blending to properly incorporate.
To Serve Rotini in Trapanese Pesto:
1. In a saute pan with a tsp of oil, add 1-1/2 cups of pasta with ¼ cup of pesto and toss to coat and heat through.
2. Then add mango cubes and minced sun dried tomatoes to the pan and cook for an additional 15 seconds.
3. Plate up and garnish with a teaspoon of chili flakes.