(2021 Pairings - India - Asia) From Gujarat - A hot, tangy soup sweetened with ripe mango and jaggery, cooked with ground turmeric, fresh ginger, chiles, clove, and cinnamon and garnished with cilantro leaves. Served with steamed rice.
|1-1/2 teaspoons||fenugreek seeds divided|
|1-1/2 teaspoon||cumin seeds divided|
|8 each||dried red chilis divided|
|1 each||cinnamon sticks broken in half|
|1 teaspoon||chili powder|
|2 cups||Indian Dahi yogurt|
|1/3 cup||chickpea flour|
|2 Tablespoons||minced ginger|
|3 each||green chilis minced|
|1/3 cup||jaggery well chopped|
|1/4 cup||vegetable oil|
|1 teaspoon||yellow mustard seeds|
|4 each||whole cloves|
|20 each||curry leaves|
|1 teaspoon||ground turmeric|
|2-1/2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Mango Frozen Puree thawed|
|1-1/2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|2 Tablespoons||tempered oil sub-recipe|
|5 cups||cooked basmati rice|
|1/3 cup to garnish||Chopped fresh cilantro|
Tempering Oil Directions:
1. Heat ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Once fat is pre-heated add ½ tsp fenugreek seeds, ½ tsp cumin seed, 4 red chilis and a half cinnamon stick. Toast, while stirring constantly until fragrant and seeds begin to brown.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the chili powder.
4. Set aside.
1. Place yogurt, chickpea flour, ginger, green chilis, and jaggery into the vessel of a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, reserve.
2. Place a skillet over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is preheated add 1 tsp fenugreek seed, 1 tsp mustard seed and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Then add ½ cinnamon stick, cloves, and asafetida. Toast spices until fragrant.
3. Add 4 red chilis and curry leaves. Sauté until leaves are cooked and crisp.
4. Add yogurt paste, mango puree, turmeric and water and stir until incorporated.
5. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes and add the mango cubes. Simmer for another 5 minutes until mangos are tender and soup is silky, continue simmering to achieve desired texture if necessary.
6. Pour tempered oil over the fajeto soup and stir.
1. Place 3/4 cup of fajeto into a bowl and top with 1/2 cup of warm basmati rice. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.