(Mediterranean 2020 Pairing) (Strawberry Rozata Custard) A decadent strawberry custard topped with a hazelnut crumble and cardamom strawberry sauce.
|1/2 cup||unsalted butter softened|
|1/4 cup||brown sugar|
|1/3 cup||all-purpose flour|
|1/8 teaspoon||kosher salt|
|5 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Strawberries thawed divided|
|3/4 cup||granulated sugar divided|
|1-1/4 cups||unsalted butter melted divided|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cardamom|
|1/4 cup||corn syrup|
|3 cups||whole milk|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||vanilla extract|
|1 teaspoon||lemon zest|
|10 each||egg yolks|
|2 Tablespoons||rose water|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Strawberry Frozen Puree thawed|
|5 cups||rozata custard sub-recipe|
|2-1/2 cups||cardamom strawberry sauce sub-recipe|
|3/4 cup||toasted hazelnuts|
|1-1/4 cups||hazelnut crumble sub-recipe|
To Prepare Hazelnut Crumble:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Place 1/2 cup softened butter into a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment.
3. Add brown sugar and mix on low until smooth. Add 1-1/2 ounces hazelnuts, all-purpose flour, and salt and continue to mix until a crumbly texture is reached. Transfer mixture to a baking sheet.
4. If any large clumps form, pass them through your fingers to break them up. Bake, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula, until crisp and golden—about 15 minutes.
To Prepare Cardamom Strawberry Sauce:
1. Toss 4 cups diced strawberries and1/2 cup granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2. Brown 1 cup melted butter in a saucepot over medium heat, then add cardamom and corn syrup, cooking 5 minutes until thick.
3. Add fruit and sugar mixture and cook another 3 minutes.
4. Cool and reserve.
To Prepare Rozata Custard:
1. Heat whole milk, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, vanilla extract and fresh lemon zest in a small sauce pot over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks with rose water and strawberry purée.
3. Slowly add a third of the warm milk to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Repeat with the remaining milk until everything has been combined.
To Prepare Strawberry Hazelnut Caramel Custard:
1. Using ten 4 oz ramekins, use a pastry brush to butter the inside of each dish with the remaining 1/4 cup butter and add 1 ¼ tablespoons of thawed diced strawberries to each.
2. Fill each ramekin with 4 oz of rozata custard mix and place into a water bath.
3. Transfer to a 325°F oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until custard sets. Allow ramekins to cool before handling.
1. Transfer custard from the ramekin to a plate using a small offset spatula or paring knife.
2. Top each custard with ¼ cup of cardamom strawberry sauce, 1 tablespoon of toasted hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons of hazelnut crumble.