(Africa 2020 Fruit Pairings) - (Oje Eja Tutu) An aromatic stew featuring mango millet topped with a peach and red pepper broth, crispy fried snapper and finished with fresh micro greens.
|2 Tablespoons||kosher salt divided|
|1-1/4 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|14 Tablespoons||red palm oil divided|
|1-1/2 cups||yellow onion medium dice|
|1-1/4 cups||red bell pepper medium dice|
|2-1/2 Tablespoons||garlic clove minced|
|1-1/4 Tablespoons||fresh ginger peeled and minced|
|1-1/4 teaspoon||ground fennel|
|2-1/2 teaspoons||ground coriander|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cardamom|
|2 teaspoons||Madras curry powder|
|2 each||star anise|
|2 each||cinnamon sticks|
|1-1/4 cups||vegetable broth|
|1 cup||tomato puree|
|2-1/2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Peach Frozen Puree thawed|
|1-1/4 Tablespoons||fresh lemon juice|
|1-1/4 Tablespoons||unsalted butter cubed|
|as needed for frying||canola oil|
|10 each 2.5 oz. portions||snapper fillets skin on|
|3-4 cup||all-purpose flour|
|5 cups||mango millet sub-recipe|
|5 cups||peach and red pepper broth sub-recipe|
|10 each||fried snapper sub-recipe|
|10 Tablespoons||micro greens|
To Prepare Mango Millet:
1. Place millet in a shallow pot over high heat and toast until light brown and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Pour in water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover; cook for 15-17 minutes until light and fluffy. Remove from heat.
3. Add 1-3/4 teaspoons kosher salt and mango cubes and cool.
4. Fluff millet with a fork and hold for serving.
To Prepare Peach & Red Pepper Broth:
1. Heat 1/4 cup palm oil over medium high heat in a medium sized stock pot. Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic and ginger together until very soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Lower the heat to medium and add fennel, coriander, cardamom, Madras curry powder, star anise and cinnamon stick and toast for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. Add vegetable broth, tomato purée and peach purée to the pot and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove star anise and cinnamon stick. Transfer contents into a blender and process until very smooth.
5. Pass sauce through a fine mesh strainer and season with 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, lemon juice and butter, stirring until butter is incorporated.
To Prepare Fried Snapper:
1. Heat canola oil to 350°F in deep fryer.
2. Place snapper fillets in a large bowl and season with 1 Tablespoon kosher salt. Toss to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, add flour. Dredge fish fillets into flour to evenly coat.
4. Carefully drop fish fillets into oil and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and fish reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
5. Once fish is cooked, allow to drain on a sheet tray with a wire rack.
1. To make one serving, scoop ½ cup of prepared mango millet into the center of a shallow bowl.
2. Pour ½ cup of peach & red pepper broth around millet and place 1 piece of fried snapper on top of the millet.
3. Top fish with 1 Tablespoon of micro greens and drizzle 1 Tablespoon of palm oil over top.