2020 Passport to Flavor recipe - Americas
(Pan con Lechon) - A fresh take on a traditional Cuban sandwich filled with asado pork, spicy pickled pineapple and mango mojo sauce atop a French baguette that has been toasted to perfection.
|7 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Pineapple Cubes thawed divided|
|1-1/2 cups||rice wine vinegar|
|1/4 cup||granulated sugar|
|3/4 cup||jalapeno sliced divided|
|1-1/2 Tablespoons||kosher salt divided|
|6 Tablespoons||lime juice divided|
|1/4 cup||Chopped fresh cilantro|
|2 Tablespoons||olive oil|
|28 peeled||garlic cloves divided|
|1/4 teaspoon||dried oregano|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cumin|
|1/4 cup||tomato sauce|
|2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Mango Frozen Puree thawed|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cayenne pepper|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|1-1/4 cups||pineapple mango mojo sauce sub-recipe|
|1-1/4 cups||DOLE Pineapple Juice|
|2.8 pounds||boneless pork shoulder|
|10 6"||small baguette loaf sliced diagonally|
|1-1/4 cups||salted butter melted|
|15 cups||asado pork sub-recipe|
|1-1/4 cups||white onion julienned|
|5 cups||Pineapple Mango Mojo Sauce sub-recipe divided|
|5 cups||spicy pickled pineapple sub-recipe|
To Prepare Spicy Pickled Pineapple:
1. Thaw and drain 4 cups pineapple cubes. Set aside.
2. Place the rice wine vinegar, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup jalapeno, 1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt and 1/4 cup lime juice in a small sauce pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
3. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
4. Place the 4 cups drained pineapple and cilantro into a large container.
5. Pour the vinegar mixture over the pineapple, making sure to cover it completely.
6. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
7. Can be stored for up to 2 weeks.
To Prepare Pineapple Mango Mojo Sauce:
1. In a medium saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add 24 minced garlic cloves and 1/2 cup small diced jalapeno and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add oregano, cumin and 1 Tablespoon kosher salt. Cook an additional minute.
4. Add tomato sauce and cook until it reduces by half.
5. Add mango purée and 2 cups of pineapple cubes, 2 Tablespoons lime juice and cayenne.
6. Cook until heated through and the fruit becomes soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Transfer mixture to blender. Blend on high speed until the mixture is smooth.8. Cool completely. Fold in the remaining 1 cup each of pineapple and mango cubes and reserve.
To Prepare Asado Pork:
1. Combine 1-1/4 cups mojo sauce and pineapple juice in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together until completely combined.
2. With a sharp paring knife, score the pork shoulder all over. Pierce the pork 5-6 times, going about 1" deep with the tip of the knife.
3. Place pork in plastic bag, then pour the mojo - pineapple juice mixture and 4 crushed garlic cloves over the pork. Press all the air out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
4. In a slow cooker, pour in the pork and marinade. Cook on low for about 8 hours, or until the pork pulls apart easily.
5. Shred the pork with 2 forks, keeping large chunks, and mix completely with marinade.
6. Reserve for service.
To Prepare Cuban Pork Sandwich:
1. Slice bread loaves in half.
2. Brush butter on top and bottom of bread coating edge to edge.
3. On the bottom heel of sandwich, layer 1-1/2 cups shredded asado pork onto the bread and cover with 1-1/2 Tbsp of julienned onions.
4. Drizzle 1/4 cup of pineapple mango mojo sauce over pork and onions, and top with the bread crown. Press sandwich on a panini press until bread is toasted and grill marks appear, then slice in half diagonally.
1. Transfer pressed sandwich to serving dish.
2. Plate sandwich with 1/2 cup spicy pickled pineapples and remaining mojo sauce on the side.