2020 Passport to Flavor recipe - Americas
A crispy golden-brown fritter made with black eyed peas, topped with cotija cheese and served with a spicy mango habanero jam.
|3/4 cup||water room temperature divided|
|1/4 teaspoon||xanthan gum|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Mango Frozen Puree thawed|
|2 Tablespoons||Cholula sweet habanero hot sauce|
|1 teaspoon||ground paprika|
|1/4 cup||pure cane sugar|
|as needed||vegetable oil for frying|
|7 cups||black eyed peas dried sorted soaked|
|20 whole||garlic cloves peeled|
|3 Tablespoons||kosher salt|
|2-1/2 cups||all-purpose flour|
|6-1/2 Tablespoons||granulated sugar|
|3 Tablespoons||baking powder|
|1 cup||whole milk|
|50||Prepared black eyed pea fritters sub-recipe|
|1-3/4 cups||cotija cheese|
|1-1/4 cups||Mango Habanero Jam sub-recipe|
|10 Tablespoons||red onion minced|
To Prepare Mango Habanero Jam:
1. Mix 1/4 cup water and xanthan gum to make a slurry. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine mango cubes, mango purée, hot sauce, paprika, cane sugar and remaining water.
3. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until the liquid begins to reduce slightly, but mango chunks are still intact.
4. Allow mixture to cool slightly.
5. While the mixture is still warm, stir in xanthan gum slurry until well combined. Allow mixture to cool completely.
To Prepare Fritter Batter:
1. Heat a deep fryer to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, sort black eyed peas; removing any broken beans and debris.
3. Cover beans with water and soak for at least one hour or until husks begin to soften and can be easily rubbed away.
4. Drain beans and put them in a food processor with garlic cloves and kosher salt. Blend until the mixture becomes a smooth paste.
5. Transfer paste to a large bowl and mix in all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, milk and eggs; combine until batter is smooth.
6. Using a 1 oz scoop, scoop fritter batter into hot oil and fry for 3-5 minutes, or until the fritter is golden brown and completely cooked through.
To Serve:1. Serve 5 cooked fritters topped with 2 Tbsps fresh crumbled cotija cheese, 2 Tbsps of prepared mango habanero jam on the side, and 1 Tbsp of minced red onions.