2020 Passport to Flavor recipe - Americas
(Queijo Halloumi) - Halloumi cheese brushed with a sweet pineapple syrup and grilled to caramelized perfection, served with a refreshing pineapple mango salsa.
|5 cups||DOLE Pineapple Tidbits drained reserve juice|
|3-3/4 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|1/2 cup||finely chopped red onion|
|1/2 cup||Chopped fresh cilantro|
|7 Tablespoons||fresh lemon juice|
|1/2 cup||jalapeno chiles diced|
|5 cups||pomegranate seeds|
|5 teaspoons||kosher salt|
|5 cups||reserved pineapple juice from pineapple mango salsa|
|2-1/2 cups||brown sugar|
|30 1 inch x 4 inch sticks||Halloumi|
|3/4 cup||pomegranate molasses|
|10 cups||Pineapple Mango Salsa sub-recipe|
To Prepare Pineapple Mango Salsa:
1. Drain pineapple tidbits and reserve juice.
2. In a medium bowl, combine pineapple tidbits, mango cubes, red onion, cilantro, lemon juice, jalapeno, pomegranate seeds and kosher salt. Gently mix until fully combined. Cover and refrigerate.
To Prepare Brazilian Cheese Skewers:
1. Soak 30 bamboo skewers in water.
2. Turn on grill and allow to reach high temperature.
2. In a small saucepan, combine reserved pineapple juice and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove skewer from water and skewer the cheese. Brush each cheese slice with the prepared pineapple brown sugar syrup on both sides.
4. Grill cheese over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side, brushing one side with pomegranate molasses. Cook until grill marks can be seen.
1. Place three grilled cheese skewers on a serving dish and garnish with ½ cup of pineapple mango salsa.