Sweet and Sour Dumpling
(Asia Pairings 2020) - Hot and Sour Xiao Long Bao - Steamed dumpling filled with sweet and sour soup full of pineapple, firm tofu, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushroom and green onion. Served with a side of black ginger vinegar.
40 each Dumpling wrappers Recipe below
2 cups Sweet and Sour Soup Filling Recipe below
2-1/2 cups Pineapple and Ginger Black Vinegar Dipping Sauce Recipe Below
1-1/4 cups Scallions slivered
1/2 cup black sesame seed
4 cups vegetable broth
6 whole garlic peeled and smashed
2 Tablespoons ginger peeled and julienned
1-1/2 cups onion diced
1/2 cup less sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon chili pepper dried small dice
1/2 cup DOLE Pineapple Tidbits in Juice
1/4 cup bamboo shoots small dice
1/2 cup dried Wood ear Mushrooms hydrated small dice
1/2 cup dried Shitake Mushroom hydrated small dice
1/2 cup dried day lily hydrated small dice
1/4 cup firm tofu cut into small cubes
1/4 cup scallions small dice
1 egg beaten
2 cups DOLE Pineapple Juice
2 teaspoons white pepper
1-1/2 cups black vinegar divided
1-1/2 Tablespoons agar agar
1/2 cup DOLE Crushed Pineapple in Juice
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and grated
1 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup hot water 115F
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups Sweet and Sour Soup Filling prepared
Sweet and Sour Soup Filling Directions:
1. Add vegetable broth, garlic, ginger, onion, light soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and chili pepper to a large stock pot over high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Using a chinois and a large bowl, strain and discard solids, then return the liquid to the stock pot and bring to a simmer.
4. Add Pineapple Tidbits, bamboo shoots, wood ear mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, and day lily and cook for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, reduce heat to low and with a wooden spoon, stir in extra firm tofu, scallions and the beaten egg and cook for 3 additional minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add in Pineapple Juice, white pepper and 1/2 cup black vinegar and allow soup to cool for at least 30 minutes.
7. Once cooled, use a chinois and a large bowl to strain and reserve solids. Return 2 cups of soup to a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reserve the remaining soup for later use.
8. As soup begins to simmer, use a whisk to slowly mix in agar agar powder. Once mixed, bring mixture to a full boil, then remove from heat.
9. Place soup in a container and place in the refrigerator to cool and gelatinize.
10. Once mixture has cooled and gelatinized, remove from the container and finely dice the mixture. In a large bowl combine the diced agar mixture and the strained solids and mix well. Reserve for filling for dumplings.
Dumpling Wrappers Directions:
1. Using a wooden spoon, mix all-purpose flour, hot water and kosher salt in a mixing bowl until it forms a shaggy ball.
2. Turn the ball onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes, until the dough is soft and silky.
3. Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, divide the dough ball into 4 equal pieces and use your hands to roll each piece into 10-inch-long cylinder shapes.
5. Working in batches, cut each cylinder into 1-inch rounds and cover with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out while you work.
6. Once all the dough has been cut, use a rolling pin to roll each piece to 2-1/2 inches wide and 1/16 inch thick.
7. Keep prepared dumpling wrappers and dough balls covered to prevent them from drying out.
Pineapple & Ginger Black Vinegar Dipping Sauce Directions:
1. Add Crushed Pineapple, 1 Tablespoon grated ginger, 1 cup black vinegar, 1 cup regular soy sauce and toasted sesame oil to a bowl and mix until well blended.
Sweet and Sour Dumpling Directions:
1. To fill one dumpling, hold a single wrapper in your slightly cupped hand. Add 1 tablespoon of filling in the center and press down gently. Use both sets of index fingers and thumbs to pleat and pinch the edge of the dough together to form a closed pouch. Be sure to pinch and twist the dough at the end to completely seal the dumpling. Cover dumplings with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out as you work. Repeat for all dumpling wrappers.
2. Once all the dumpling wrappers have been filled, place them into a 12-inch bamboo steamer basket and steam for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
1. Top 4 fully steamed Sweet and Sour Dumplings with 2 tablespoons of scallions and 2 teaspoons of black sesame seeds.
2. Serve with 1/4 cup of pineapple & ginger black vinegar sauce on the side.