Macaroni Pie with Ginger Chicken and Apples
A unique macaroni and cheese dish with apples and ginger chicken.
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
as needed salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon ground ginger divided
½ pound dry elbow macaroni
1-¼ cups evaporated milk
1 eggs beaten
1-½ teaspoons dry mustard
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1-½ cups DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Apples partially thawed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Bring water, salted to taste, to boil in a large sauce pan. Boil macaroni for 7-8 minutes then strain.
- Whisk together evaporated milk, beaten egg, mustard, and remaining ground ginger.
- Add macaroni, milk mixture, 3 cups of shredded cheese, apples, and diced chicken to sauce pan over low heat and stir until cheese is fully incorporated.
- Pour macaroni mixture into baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.