This recipe was developed by Chef Nick Wallace
Chef Wallace combines his love of traditional Southern cuisine with innovative flavors and classic French cooking techniques to create dishes that evoke a sense of classic comfort with a modern twist. This shines through in his Mango Pie recipe, featuring a vibrant mango filling and a light and airy ginger-infused topping.
For more culinary inspiration from Chef Nick Wallace follow @nickwallaceculinary on Instagram
|2-1/2 cups||all-purpose flour|
|6 Tablespoons||chilled butter cut up divided|
|3 Tablespoons||almond oil|
|1/2 cup||ice water|
|as needed||cooking spray|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
|4-1/2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|1-1/2 teaspoons||fat-free milk|
|2 Tablespoons||chopped crystallized ginger|
|1 Tablespoon||granulated sugar|
To Prepare Crust:
1. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Combine flour and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
2. Cut 5 Tablespoons butter and almond oil with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add water, stirring just until moist.
4. Divide dough into two equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 4-inch circle onto a sheet of plastic wrap, cover.
5. Chill 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 425°F.
7. Unwrap dough, place one portion chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit dough into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
8. Unwrap second dough piece and place portion on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle, to use for top crust.
To Prepare Filling:
1. Combine packed brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
2. Add mango cubes and toss to coat.
3. Add mango mixture to prepared pie plate, sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 Tablespoon of butter.
4. Fit second dough round over mango mixture and press edges of dough together. Fold edges under and flute. Cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
To Prepare Topping and Finish:
1. Brush top of dough with milk. Combine ginger and granulated sugar and sprinkle over dough.
2. Place pie plate onto a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake an additional 30 minutes or until pie is golden brown.
4. Cool completely on a wire rack.