(Africa 2020 Pairings) - (Chicken & Mango Maffe Stew) A hearty entree featuring warm spices, basmati rice, green peas, pineapple and mango topped off with crispy, fried plantains.
|3 cups||tomato puree divided|
|2-1/2 cups||red bell pepper medium dice divided|
|3-1/2 cups||yellow onion medium dice divided|
|6-1/2 Tablespoons||garlic cloves minced divided|
|5 Tablespoons||minced fresh ginger divided|
|2-1/2||habanero chile divided|
|2 Tablespoons||canola oil|
|9-1/2 Tablespoons||red palm oil divided|
|3-1/4 cups||yellow onion julienned|
|3 Tablespoons||tomato paste divided|
|1 Tablespoon||ground turmeric|
|2 cups||obe ata sub-recipe|
|4 cups||vegetable stock|
|3-1/4 cups||raw white basmati rice|
|4-1/2 teaspoons||kosher salt divided|
|1 cup||cooked green peas|
|1-1/2 cups||DOLE Pineapple Tidbits drained|
|3 lbs||chicken thighs boneless skinless cubed|
|3 cups||chicken stock|
|3/4 cup||smooth peanut butter|
|6 cups||Swiss chard rough chopped|
|4-1/4 cups||frozen DOLE Mango Chunks|
|3 each||ripe plantains peeled sliced|
|as needed for frying||canola oil|
|10 cups||jollof rice sub-recipe|
|10 cups||chicken and mango maffe stew sub-recipe|
|10 Tablespoons||fresh cilantro leaves|
|30 each||fried plantains sub-recipe|
To Prepare Obe Ata:
1. Add 1-1/2 cups tomato purée, 1 cup diced red bell pepper, 1-1/2 cups diced yellow onion, 2 Tablespoons minced garlic, 2 Tablespoons minced ginger and 1 habanero chili into a blender. Process until smooth.
2. In a saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons canola oil over medium heat. Add vegetable purée and bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until purée is reduced by half.
3. Transfer to a new container, cool and reserve until ready to use.
To Prepare Jollof Rice:
1. Heat 1/4 cup red palm oil in a heavy bottomed pot over high heat until shimmering.
2. Sauté julienned onion, 1-1/2 Tablespoons garlic and 1-1/2 Tablespoons ginger until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Lower the heat to medium and add 1 Tablespoon tomato paste with turmeric and paprika. Saute for 2 minutes or until tomato paste is a dark red color.
4. Add obe ata and vegetable stock to pot and stir to combine.
5. Add in rice and 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and return to high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
6. Cook rice for 30-35 minutes or until rice is soft.
7. Once cooked, remove the lid and turn heat to high and allow the rice to crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
8. Fold in cooked green peas and drained pineapple tidbits.
9. Fluff with a fork before serving.
To Prepare Chicken & Mango Maffe Stew:
1. Heat 5-1/2 Tablespoons red palm oil in an appropriately sized pot over high heat.
2. Sear chicken thighs for 2 minutes on each side.
3. Remove chicken from the pot and sauté 2 cups diced onion, 1-1/2 cups bell pepper, 1-1/2 Tablespoons ginger, 3 Tablespoons garlic and 1-1/2 chopped habanero chilis until very soft; about 5-8 minutes.
4. Add 1-1/2 Tablespoons tomato paste and sauté until a dark red color is achieved, about 30 seconds.
5. Transfer contents to a blender and add 1-1/2 cups tomato purée. Process until smooth.
6. Place sauce back into the pot, add chicken stock and peanut butter. Stir to combine.
7. Return seared chicken to the pot, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until mixture thickens and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
8. Add Swiss chard and mango chunks and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and serve.
To Prepare Fried Plantains:
1. Preheat deep fryer to 350ºF. Cut plantains into 1/2" slices.
2. Fry plantains in batches for 5 minutes until soft and golden brown.
3. Remove from oil and drain on a sheet tray with a wire rack.
1. Place 1 cup of prepared jollof rice into one half of a shallow bowl. Fill the other half of the bowl with 1 cup of maffe stew.
2. Garnish with 1 tablespoon of picked cilantro and place 3 fried plantain slices on the side.