(Mediterranean 2020 Pairings) A light and crispy falafel fried to a perfect golden brown. Served with three flavorful dipping sauces.
|1 Teaspoon||ground coriander divided|
|1/2 teaspoon||cumin seed ground|
|1 teaspoon||ground black pepper|
|1 teaspoon||ground cardamom|
|22 each||garlic cloves divided|
|10 each||Thai red chilis|
|1/2 cup||jalapeno chiles diced|
|2 oz.||fresh parsley coarsely chopped|
|2 oz.||fresh cilantro coarsely chopped|
|1/2 oz.||mint leaves|
|1-3/4 cups||olive oil divided|
|6 tsp + to taste||kosher salt divided|
|2 oz.||fresh lime juice|
|2 cups||Dole Chef-Ready Cuts Diced Apples thawed reserve juice|
|1 Tablespoon||garlic puree|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground fenugreek|
|5 teaspoons||ground cumin divided|
|1 teaspoon||ground turmeric|
|1/2 teaspoon||red pepper flakes|
|1/4 cup||fresh lemon juice|
|1/2 cup||white wine vinegar|
|2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Mango Frozen Puree thawed|
|1-1/2 cups||Harissa sauce prepared|
|2-1/2 cups||DOLE Crushed Pineapple in Juice|
|1-1/2 Tablespoons||granulated sugar|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|2 pounds||dry chickpeas|
|2 cups||yellow onion small dice|
|2 cups||chopped fresh parsley|
|2 cups||Chopped fresh cilantro|
|1 cup||chopped fresh dill|
|4 teaspoons||baking powder|
|4 Tablespoons||all-purpose flour|
|60 each||falafel sub-recipe|
|2-1/2 cups||green apple zhug sub-recipe|
|2-1/2 cups||amba sub-recipe|
|2-1/2 cups||pineapple harissa sub-recipe|
|10 8" rounds||pita bread grilled quartered|
To Prepare Green Apple Zhug:
1. Add 1/2 tsp Coriander, cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom, 6 garlic cloves, Thai red chilis, jalapeno chilis, 2 oz. parsley, 2 oz. cilantro and mint into a food processor. Process ingredients until finely chopped.
2. Transfer to a bowl and stir in 1-1/2 cups olive oil, 2 tsp kosher salt, lime juice and diced apples, including the juice from thawed fruit.
3. Leave refrigerated, covered for at least 30 minutes before using.
To Prepare Amba:
1. In a medium sized pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
2. Sauté garlic puree, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, ground fenugreek, 1 tsp ground cumin, ground turmeric, and red pepper flakes until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds.
3. Add in the honey, lemon juice, water, white wine vinegar and mango puree and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring every so often ensuring the bottom doesn't burn.
4. Allow amba to cool completely and add kosher salt to taste before using.
To Prepare Pineapple Harissa:
1. Combine prepared Harissa sauce, crushed pineapple in juice, granulated sugar and mango cubes in a large bowl until well mixed. Set aside.
To Prepare Falafel:
1. Cover chickpeas with 2 inches of water and soak overnight.
2. Preheat deep fryer to 350°F.
3. Drain chickpeas and add 16 garlic cloves, yellow onion, 2 cups parsley, 2 cups cilantro, and dill to a food processor.
4. Pulse ingredients until chickpeas are finely ground.
5. Transfer chickpea mixture into a bowl and stir in 4 tsp ground cumin, baking powder, all-purpose flour and 4 tsp kosher salt.
6. Using a 1.5 oz scoop, drop falafel mixture into 350ºF oil and fry for 3 minutes until falafel are a dark golden-brown color.
7. Allow falafel to drain and cool on a wire rack.
1. Place 6 falafels onto a platter and pour ¼ cup of each sauce (Green Apple Zhug, Amba and Pineapple Harissa) into 3 separate ramakins.
2. Serve with warm pita bread on the side.