(Africa 2020 Fruit Pairings) (Mofo-Anana with Pineapple Sakay) A crispy vegetarian fritter served with a Pineapple Sakay sauce featuring chilis, garlic, ginger, turmeric, pineapple and lime juice.
|2 cups||all-purpose flour|
|8 teaspoons||kosher salt divided|
|1 Tablespoon||curry powder|
|1 Tablespoon||baking powder|
|3/4 teaspoon||ground black pepper|
|3 cups room temperature||water|
|2 cups||baby spinach leaves|
|1/2 cup||jalapeno pepper small dice divided|
|1/4 cup||Fresno chili small dice|
|3 cups||scallions thinly sliced divided|
|1 cup||plum tomato small dice|
|4-3/4 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Pineapple Cubes thawed divided|
|50 each||Fresh Thai Bird Chilies sliced|
|50 each||fresh green Thai chilis|
|2-1/2 ounces||fresh ginger peeled|
|25 each||garlic cloves peeled|
|5 teaspoons||granulated sugar|
|2-1/2 cups||DOLE Crushed Pineapple in Juice|
|5 Tablespoons||fresh lime juice|
|4 Tablespoons||ground turmeric|
|3-3/4 cups||canola oil|
|30 each||mofo-anana sub-recipe|
|5 cups||pineapple sakay sub-recipe|
|2-1/2 cups||pineapple relish sub-recipe|
To Prepare Mofo-Anana:
1. Preheat deep fryer to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp kosher salt, curry powder, baking powder, black pepper, room temperature water, spinach, 1/4 cup diced jalapeno, fresno chili, 1-1/2 cups sliced scallions, diced plum tomatoes and 1 cup pineapple cubes. Stir together until a smooth batter is formed.
3. Use a 2 oz scoop to portion batter and fry for 1 minute.
4. Remove fritters from oil, gently flatten with a back of a spoon and return to fry for an additional 2-3 minutes until fritters are golden brown and crisp.
To Prepare Pineapple Sakay:
1. In a food processor combine Thai chilies, ginger, garlic, 5 tsp kosher salt and granulated sugar until a rough paste is formed.
2. Add in the crushed pineapple in juice, lime juice and turmeric.
3. Slowly pour in canola oil with the motor running until sauce emulsifies.
4. Fold in 1-1/4 cups pineapple cubes and reserve.
To Prepare Pineapple Relish:
1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups sliced scallions, 1/4 cup diced jalapenos, and 2-1/2 cups pineapple cubes. Cover and place in refrigerator.
1. Place 3 fritters on a plate and top with 1/4 cup pineapple relish. Serve with 1/2 cup pineapple sakay on the side.