2020 Passport to Flavor recipe - Americas
A vegetarian take on a Cuban empanada featuring a savory jackfruit filling. Served with a sweet and spicy pineapple mango mojo sauce.
|2 Tablespoons||olive oil|
|24 peeled||garlic cloves minced|
|1/2 cup||jalapeno minced|
|1/4 teaspoon||dried oregano|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cumin|
|3-1/2 teaspoons||kosher salt divided|
|1/4 cup||tomato sauce|
|2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Mango Frozen Puree thawed|
|4 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Pineapple Cubes thawed divided|
|2 Tablespoons||fresh lime juice|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cayenne pepper|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|2 cups||young green jackfruit drained|
|1 cup||Swiss cheese shredded|
|2 Tablespoons||yellow mustard|
|1/4 cup||Pineapple Mango Mojo Sauce sub-recipe divided|
|10 8" rounds||Goya prepared empanada dough|
|5 cups||jackfruit empanada filling sub-recipe|
|3/4 cups||dill pickles chopped|
To Prepare Pineapple Mango Mojo Sauce:
1. In a medium saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add 24 cloves of minced garlic and jalapeño. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add oregano, cumin, and 1 Tbsp kosher salt. Cook an additional minute.
4. Add tomato sauce and cook until it reduces by half, stirring occasionally.
5. Add mango purée and 2 cups pineapple cubes, lime juice and cayenne pepper.
6. Cook until heated through and the fruit becomes soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Transfer mixture to blender. Blend on high speed until the mixture is smooth.
8. Cool completely, fold in 1 cup pineapple and 1 cup mango cubes. Reserve.
To Prepare Empanada Filling:
1. Combine 1 cup pineapple cubes, shredded jackfruit, Swiss cheese, yellow mustard, 1/4 cup prepared mojo sauce and 1/2 tsp kosher salt together in a medium bowl. Gently mix, continuing to fold together.
2. Cover and set aside.
To Prepare Vegetarian Empanada Cubano:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Fill empanada dough with about 1/3 cup of filling and top with 1 Tbsp of chopped dill pickles.
3. Fold the dough to create a half-moon shape, then seal by folding and pressing the dough. Alternatively, the dough can be sealed with a fork.
4. Place empanadas on a parchment lined baking sheets and place in oven. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
1. Place each baked empanada on a plate and serve with 1/4 cup of mojo sauce on the side.