2020 Passport to Flavor recipe - Americas
A savory empanada reminiscent of the flavors of a traditional Cuban sandwich, filled with pork, ham, Swiss cheese and mustard. Served with a sweet and spicy pineapple mango mojo sauce.
|2 Tablespoons||olive oil|
|28 peeled||garlic cloves divided|
|1/2 cup||jalapeno minced|
|1/4 teaspoon||dried oregano|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cumin|
|3-1/2 Tablespoons||kosher salt divided|
|1/4 cup||tomato sauce|
|2 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Mango Frozen Puree thawed|
|4 cups||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Pineapple Cubes thawed divided|
|2 Tablespoons||fresh lime juice|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cayenne pepper|
|1 cup||DOLE Chef-Ready Cuts Mango Cubes thawed|
|1-3/4 cups||Pineapple Mango Mojo Sauce sub-recipe divided|
|1-1/4 cups||DOLE Pineapple Juice|
|2.8 pounds||boneless pork shoulder|
|3/4 cups||Asado pork shredded|
|1/2 cup||cubed baked ham|
|1 cup||Swiss cheese shredded|
|1 Tablespoon||yellow mustard|
|10 8" rounds||Goya prepared empanada dough|
|3 cups||pork empanada filling sub-recipe|
|3/4 cups||dill pickles chopped|
To Prepare Pineapple Mango Mojo Sauce:
1. In a medium saucepot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add 24 cloves of minced garlic and jalapeño. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add oregano, cumin, and 1 Tablespoon kosher salt. Cook an additional minute.
4. Add tomato sauce and cook until it reduces by half, stirring occasionally.
5. Add mango purée and 2 cups pineapple cubes, lime juice and cayenne pepper.
6. Cook until heated through and the fruit becomes soft, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Transfer mixture to blender. Blend on high speed until the mixture is smooth.
8. Cool completely, fold in 1 cup pineapple and 1 cup mango cubes. Reserve.
To Prepare Asado Pork:
1. Combine 1-1/2 cups mojo sauce and pineapple juice in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together until completely combined.
2. With a sharp paring knife, score the pork shoulder all over. Pierce the pork 5-6 times, going about 1" deep with the tip of the knife.
3. Place pork in plastic bag, then pour the mojo/pineapple juice mixture and 4 crushed garlic cloves over the pork. Press all the air out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
4. In a slow cooker, pour in the pork and marinade. Cook on low for about 8 hours or until the pork pulls apart easily.
5. Shred the pork with 2 forks, keeping large chunks, and mix completely with marinade.
6. Set aside.
To Prepare Empanada Filling:
1. Combine Pineapple Cubes, asado pork, baked ham, Swiss cheese, yellow mustard, 1/4 cup prepared pineapple mango mojo sauce and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt together in a medium bowl. Gently mix, continuing to fold together.
2. Cover and set aside.
To Prepare Empanada Cubano:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Fill empanada dough with about ? cup of filling and top with 1 Tbsp of chopped dill pickles.
3. Fold the dough to create a half-moon shape, then seal by folding and pressing the dough. Alternatively, the dough can be sealed with a fork.
4. Place empanadas on a parchment lined baking sheets and place in oven. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
1. Place each baked empanada on a plate and serve with ¼ cup of mojo sauce on the side.